The Salt Lake Design Awareness Foundation Mission Statement and History
The Salt Lake Design Awareness Foundation is a 501 (c3) non-profit organization promoting design excellence in the Intermountain Region. In ten years Design Awareness has awarded over $200,000 in scholarships, prizes, internships, and cultural trips to those in the design industry, both professional designers and students of design. Founded by Bruce Finlinson, ASID, the event started as a small seminar attracting fourteen interior designers. The 2004 event numbered over
800 design students and design professionals, and included over 60 vendors
from Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and Colorado.
The Salt Lake Design Awareness Foundation goals are lofty:
* To develop a cooperative relationship across design disciplines: architecture, interior design, fashion design and technology, floral, graphics, and landscape design, and product design and development.
* To continue to provide a forum of inspiration and education for designers through The Design Awareness Event.
* To increase the number of scholarships, cultural study programs, internships, and prizes for design professionals as well as students of design.
* To increase fund-raising efforts through strategic partnerships with corporations, foundations, individuals, and non-profit partners.
* To expose the community to the positive impact that good design can have on their lives.
Four awards are given annually:
* The Theresa Bradley Spirit Award for Professional Interior Design: an all expense paid trip for two to the Salone Internazionale Del Mobile in Milan, Italy or the International Furniture Fair in Valencia, Spain.
* The Theresa Bradley Spirit Award-Student Internship by SMED International: a three month internship with SMED International.
* The Bert Vieta Vision Award for Students of Interior Design: a cash award for design excellence and leadership.
* The Grand Poo-Bah Design Award is a merit award to acknowledge one who quietly and whole heartedly works for the good of the Interior Design profession.